Hello everyone! How are you? I am so sorry for my blogging absence! I allowed life to get in the way, and that’s my only excuse. Anyone getting in the mood for some fall/winter knitting? I know I am. This is a good time to get out those w.i.p.s you’ve put to the side and finish them! It has been getting cool here at nights, and today is just the most perfect, cloudless day. Fall is coming! Now onto some yarn news:Instead of delving into the indigo dye vat, I decided to try another cochineal project. I am pretty happy with how these turned out: a very nice soft seashell pinkish lilac with a new yarn that has a great heft and feel to it. Just the kind of yarn you can’t wait to dig your needles into.
- 85% alpaca, 15% bamboo
- 3-ply sport weight
- 5 oz., 320 yds.
Other knitterly things in the works is a mosaic project I am currently working on for a class I will be teaching soon. If you’ve never tried your hand at mosaics, it is a rewarding knit and fairly easy to accomplish. It consists of a lot of slip, purl and knit stitches. You work with two colors, one at a time for two rows with some pretty spectacular results! Here is the pattern I’m using:
PaintBoxes Cowl by Susan Ashcroft
What others have to say on the subject:
- Twist Collective – great photos, information, links and charts.
- Barbara G. Walker‘s book (the queen of Mosaic knitting) is a great resource.
- Her Ravelry page offers many inspiring designs.
- Purl Bee offers a fresh take on this technique with a blanket and also gives three other color options.
- Knit Freedom has a good introduction to mosaics.
What new techniques are you trying? I challenge you to challenge yourself! Have a good one.